Wear me often. Take good care of me. Share me. Pass me on.
Our basket bags get better with age.
When finished, your victoria handmade is still adapting to its new shape and finish. Over time the reed smoothens, making it become a part of who you are. Note that, due to the nature of materials used, natural veining and markes may occur on the leather and reed.
With a little bit of care and attention your piece can follow you for years to come. To help you so, by the purchasing of any Victoria Handmade basket bag we offer you a care pack:
· A jar with beeswax, a natural product that makes a huge difference in maintain the color of your Victoria Handmade vivid and to clean the same - apply it when you feel that your bag is with a ruff look, evenly with a cloth by wiping the body, metals pieces and the vegetable tanning leather too. Do it one time per month, or one time in two month, depending your use. Also apply it before storage your bag, to protect it from the humidity.
· A sac made by recyclable fibres, so you can storage your bag on it at the time it's not in use in a dry place where circulates air (eg. hanging on a hanger, open cupboards - never closed -, etc.
Other important things when comes to take care of your Victoria Handmade bag:
· The reed body is delicate but robust, this means the reed body can endure knocks and bumps but a little extra care is needed when using the bag, just like other material kind of bags - don't forget to use the beeswax here!
· Our baskets have been thoroughly tested over the years to withstand various conditions. The traditional Portuguese basket existed for decades, and has always been used in the most varied conditions and occasions. At Victoria Handmade we keep the ancestral production methods unchanged, so the quality of your piece is of the highest handmade quality.
· Our bags are completely waterproof, but we suggest avoiding any heavy rain, like you should do in any kind of bag.
· Being a plant, the reed does not adhere to all type of colors. This singularity makes that slight differences in shade from reed to reed happens due to its uniqueness.
· Our vegetable tanned leather shows off the material in its most natural state, maintaining natural flaws and markings. We select carefully the most beautiful ones.
· With proper care, vegetable tanned leather can last many decades. Every few months we recommend applying a little of beeswax (we offer it!) to the leather and rubbing it with a soft cloth (as well as in the reed, don't forget that!).
· While not in use, keep your bag away from closed cupboards and poor ventilated rooms. Store it in it's own sac on a dry place where circulates air (eg. hanging on a hanger, open cupboards - never closed -, etc.) Before storage it, apply a good layer of beeswax across the piece with a cloth
Consider repair before replacing your piece. That's where true sustainability lives! After living unforgettable moments with your Victoria Handmade, it deserves to be recovered so that you can continue to write new stories with your basket bag by your side.
This is about valuing and extending the life of the piece through not only strengthening it, but taking the time to make it beautiful as well. It is normal that with the use the natural beauty of your piece fades and that suffer some damage.
This service is bespoke for a fee. Send us pictures of all angles of your piece to the email:
So that we can evaluate the recovery you need! From there we will give you all the instructions on how to proceed.
What if you want to repair a traditional basket that is not a Victoria Handmade basket bag, but a Portuguese basket that tells you a lot?
We are soft hearts and we cannot say no. Although it is not a piece of ours, it is still a Portuguese basket where our legacy is put into practice. Be sure to send photos of the piece to the email:
And we will give you an investment quote and how to proceed!